Rights and obligation
Actively seeking employment
You are considered as actively seeking employment if you meet the following conditions:
- you are capable of doing most types of general work,
- you take the initiative in looking for work, and are prepared to accept any paid employment,
- you are willing and able to accept work without any special advance notice period,
- you are prepared to accept work in any part of the country,
- you are prepared to accept work, irrespective of whether it is full-time or part-time, or shift work,
- you are not entitled to wages or other payments in connection with work done on the labour market during the time when you are regarded as actively seeing work, except in the case of a reduced job proportion,
- you are willing and able to participate in the labour-market measures on offer,
- you are prepared to give the Directorate of Labour the information necessary to increase the likelihood that you will find suitable employment.
You must inform the Directorate of Labour of any changes that take place in your capacity for work or other circumstances without undue delay.
You must notify (tell) the Directorate of Labour immediately about all changes that occur to your personal circumstances which might have an effect on your rights while you are receiving unemployment benefit. If you do not report such changes, this could result in your having to wait before receiving benefit, or other penalties could be imposed according to law. Examples of the sort of things that might change are:
- your involvement in studies,
- occasional work,
- a part-time job,
- a full-time job,
- other income you receive at the same time as you receive unemployment benefit,
- reduced capacity for work / incapacity (invalidity),
- residence abroad without an E-303 certificate,
- changes to your address, telephone number and/or e-mail address.
You may not live outside Iceland and draw unemployment benefit at the same time unless you have applied for an E-303 vottorð ...E-303 certificate.
If you intend to go on vacation (holiday), you must inform the Directorate of Labour and you will be taken off the benefit register while you are on vacation.
Confirmation that your are seeking employment
Every month, in the period 20-25 of the month, you must confirm that you are still seeking employment. This is done through “My pages” Mínar síður".
- If you confirm that you are seeking employment in the period 20-25 of each month, your benefit payment will be made on the first working day of the following month.
- If you confirm that you are seeking employment between the 25th day of the month and the 3rd day of the next, your benefit payment will be made 5 working days after the beginning of the month.
- If you only confirm your are seeking employment in the period after the 3rd day of the following month, then your benefit payment will be made together with the payment after the beginning of the next month.
In making these confirmations, you are confirming that you are still without work and are actively seeking a job. When you make your confirmation, you can also notify the Directorate of Labour of any changes, e.g. occasional work or part-time employment.
Interviews, meetings and other measures
To meet the requirements of the Unemployment Insurance Act, No. 54/2006, for unemployment benefit, you must attend all interviews and meetings to which you are summoned. You must also participate in the labour market measures you are offered.
If you do not attend an interview or meeting of which you have been given notice, or if you refuse to participate in the labour-market measures you are offered, and you do this without a valid explanation, a penalty will be applied.