Unemployment benefit amounts
The following amounts shall apply as from 1 Januar 2019:
Basic unemployment benefit payments are calculated follows:
- Unemployment benefit is ISK 279.720 per month (100% entitlement).
- Unemployment benefit is ISK 209.790 per month (75% entitlement).
- Unemployment benefit is ISK 139.860 per month (50% entitlement).
- Unemployment benefit is ISK 69.930 per month (25% entitlement – minimum entitlement).
ISK 11.189 is paid each month for each dependent child under the age of 18 for whom the recipient is responsible. (This is 4% of full basic unemployment benefit).
Unemployment benefit will be paid at the basic rate for two weeks following your first registration, after which income-related amounts take effect.
- The maximum of income-related unemployment benefit is ISK 440.970 per month.
- Income-related amounts are calculated as follows:
Wage-earners: Income-related unemployment benefit is 70% of your average gross income, based on the six-month period ending two months before you became unemployed.
Self-employed individuals: Income-related unemployment benefit is 70% of your average gross income, based on the income year preceding the year in which you become unemployed.
Your benefit entitlement: The amount of income-related benefit also depends on your benefit entitlement. For example, if you have maximum income-related benefit, but only 50% benefit entitlement, then the maximum amount you can receive is 50% of ISK 440.970, i.e. ISK 220.485
- Your right to receive income-related unemployment benefit is valid for 3 months from the beginning of the benefit period, providing you meet the requirements.
- If a waiting period is imposed on your unemployment benefit, you will not be entitled to income-related benefit.
- Applicants only have the right to receive income-related benefit once in each benefit period, this being at the beginning of the period.